Monday, November 27, 2006

Welcome Note

Webster's International Dictionary defines an infidel as, among others,
a non-Christian and a skeptic. I happen to be both and these aspects -
my being a Muslim and someone with a critical/skeptical bent - will
pervade this blog. But I am more than these: I am a Moro, Filipino,
teacher, father, husband, lawyer,Lakers fan, trekkie, FHM reader,
etc. The point is we are all innately complex and this complexity will
spill across our views, arguments, and beliefs. So the stuff that you
will see here will not always be consistent or even coherent. But it
will reflect my point of view, which is exactly the rationale for
blogging in the first place.

Justice Holmes' faith in the "marketplace of ideas" is likewise the basis of my entry into
cyberspace. The Boston Brahmin's views may, at times, seem antiquated,
but his faith - and mine - in the power of ideas, as well as the need
to articulate and disseminate them, are timeless and universal.

I hope that the views expressed here will be of some use to you. Many of
the topics will deal on law, democracy, and Islam since these are some
of my areas of interest. I make no claims on being an expert on any of
these subjects but I hope that any research or scholarship that I may
have used for these articles/blogs will be helpful to the reader. Take
what I write here with as much skepticism and criticism as I have used
in preparing them. Also, share your thoughts with me. The "marketplace
of ideas" is no good if there is only one seller.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your writings are entertaining, educational and sometime perturbing. Our paths have crossed in the past and I’ve always thought our idealism would allow you to make a mark in this world. I never thought of you as a skeptic, just inquisitive and persistent.

You often make a point of highlighting intolerance against Muslim Filipinos. It is a fair comment and your work and writings appear that you are taking on the Herculean effort of changing the thinking of an entire nation. I too am a minority in my community but unlike you, I have taken a different approach in handling social prejudice. I choose to be blind to the thoughts of discrimination and allow myself to believe that I am judged solely for my work and character. This is sometimes hard but I never regretted taking the high road and just moving on. I don’t have the energy to succumb to thoughts that I am an inferior member of society, and somehow, those around me, manage to do the same.

Congratulations on sticking to your principles and all your efforts in making the world a just and peaceful place for our children.

Karla Maquiling said...

The tag "FHM reader" really made me laugh! :) I hope you continue blogging. The online world needs better content!

Anonymous said...

It's interesting about the written word. The seasoned writer can, with precision, control exactly how much or how little he reveals of himself. You have therefore been very generous.

The composite you present is interesting. You are 100% Moro by blood and, as you wrote, in your soul. You are a product of Christian schools and chose to have a Christian wife. Your interesting and informative articles make clear your disdain for the way Moros, and Muslims around the world, have been unfairly treated. Your struggles and hardship as a people make you strive harder to distinguish yourselves and fight for your rightful place at the table. I hope you won't find it disrespectful if I say that it reminds me of the plight of the Jews. I assume that you've long realized that part of your inner struggle isn't entirely about being a Moro fitting in and distinguishing himself in a Christian country. It's even more than your exemplary job being the poster child of the Bangsamoro cause. Reflecting your Superman theme, your education, extensive reading and exposure - the very elements that make you such an effective advocate, are, ironically, the very elements that make you different from the common Moro you seek to emancipate. Your being a Moro in a Christian country makes you feel that you're not quite one of us, while you'll quickly find that if you were to relocate your family and move to Marawi, you're not quite one of them. Like Superman and his great powers, I'm sure that when you move in your political circles, you often have to keep a lid on things so as not to intimidate others or seem mayabang. I'm sure that when you do become senator, if indeed that's what you really want, there will be a number of Moro leaders who will feel threatened by you, the same way that Obama makes many African Americans proud and uncomfortable at the same time.

What a good set of cards you've been dealt - intelligence, looks, the right parents, and enough battle wounds to give you strength and backbone. And the right name. Despite all your gifts, if you were born Mohammed instead of Adel, your chances for a successful senatorial bid would be more unlikely than likely.

Unlike the prejudiced taxi drivers you wrote about, I hope you know that not all Christians are ignorant and bigoted in our view of Muslims. I enjoyed your class and I wish you well in all your endeavors.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the 'marketplace of ideas?' Has it closed shop?

JenShinrai said...

I thought "infidel" meant someone who is not a Muslim. Perhaps it's what people of a particular religion call those who do not share their religious belief.